Saturday, November 15, 2008

On the national stage

The New York Times is surprisingly heavy on coverage of my home state - Michigan - this morning. Unfortunately, it's mostly bad news.

Michigan has been at the forefront of the nation's economic woes for a long time now. In fact, for awhile it was speculated that Michigan was in a single-state recession and that the rest of the nation was just fine, which has obviously proved untrue. Michigan has been plagued by declining American automakers, political scandal in Detroit, and let's not forget the defection of a major pharmaceutical research site not too long ago. Not to mention the fact the Michigan's best and brightest - and many of their subpar - leave the state after college to seek their fortunes elsewhere, deeming Michigan a lost cause.

Perhaps I sound hypocritical pointing this out - after all, I too left Michigan, and while I left to be with Noe one could point out the technicality that I didn't HAVE to leave. Which I didn't. And in addition to wanting to be with Noe, I felt like I could do better job-wise on the east coast. I'm not criticizing anyone who chooses to leave the state - I get it. But that doesn't mean I like myself for it or like watching my home state drown in its misery.

Like her or not - and there are plenty of people in both camps - Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm (pictured above right) is working tirelessly to stimulate an economy that was showing signs of decline before she took office. Whether or not you agree with Granholm's policies or political views, I don't think many can argue the fact that she campaigns hard to try and bring jobs to a state that has long depended on the auto industry and probably should have diversified it's economy a long time ago.

Read all about Jennifer Granholm and her efforts in the article Economy is Only Issue for Michigan Governor. Then check out the New York Times editorial (yes, it's bad enough that the NYT is actually giving us an editorial) Saving Detroit From Itself.

Once you're up to speed on our foundering economy, you get a little treat. The NYT must have wanted to boost out morale a little bit, because the Style section boasts a lengthy article on that magical little place off the highway where Christmas lives year-round - Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. Yes, I'm serious. Bronner's got coverage in the NYT Style section. Check it out in the article Excuse Me, Where's Thanksgiving.

I don't think the Ann Arbor News even has this much coverage of Michigan today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, I'm afraid you spelled it wrong :) As seen on the giant ornament in the picture it's actually Bronners CHRISTmas Wonderland!