Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Lazy Sunday (and Monday, and Tuesday...)

First of all, I want to apologize for the rather sporadic and lame blogs of late. I have been busy and, when not busy, fairly burned out. As most of you know, I had a houseguest weekend before last (my awesome cousin Katie - check out her blog and her FABULOUS artwork - of which I now have a custom piece of - here). Then I proceeded to be so slammed at work that the last thing I wanted to do was turn on the computer when I got home. As for the lack of weekend updates, well, that was a combination of too many drinks at Hanafin's and good-old fashioned laziness.

Speaking of which, my eight readers, you really need to read me the riot act if you don't start seeing some running posts on this blog. I am scheduled to run the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon (half-marathon) on May 3rd and so far my training has consisted of a few Hip Hop Hustle classes, twice-weekly kickboxing, one tennis lesson and some sporadic three-mile runs. I am going to go out a limb here and say I am probably NOT in good enough shape to run the Mini at this moment in time.

Now, I have managed to pull off some pretty spectacular (insert saracasm) athletic feats in my time, such as joining the soccer team senior year of high school without ever having touched a soccer ball in my life and playing 11 minutes in goal in my first indoor game. I ran the Detroit half-marathon last year on very little training and I ran Nashville and Indy on back-to-back weekends.

However, the older I get the harder it is to do anything with a complete lack of preparation (this observation is not strictly limited to athletic endeavors - procrastination has started to work against me in general.) On those rare occasions thatI have gotten on the treadmill lately, it's been rough going.

So starting tomorrow, I am going to log at least 15 miles a week. This can be broken down into three five-mile runs, five three-mile runs, or a number of other combinations. The only potential problem is if I don't run at all during the week and find myself having to run all fifteen on Saturday. If I do this for the rest of March I should at least be back in the habit of running and can appropriately increase and taper off through April and (fingers crossed) be somewhat prepared for Indy in May.

I will update you on my progress. And I promise not to lie in my blog.

Now for the good news: I found a place that has reasonably-priced small group tennis lessons! Yeah, it’s only once a week and the instructor has nothing on Ryan and Gary, but that’s not the point. The point is that all the lamenting I’ve done about not getting to play and all my threats to sell my racquet on Ebay have been in vain – I don’t have to give up tennis. I am hoping that I can be good enough by summer to play with Noe and not A) throw my racquet or B) cry (both of which have happened before). Things went pretty well this past weekend, so my hopes are high.

All right - enough fitness blogging. Other people (like Lisa!) do it much better. But I will keep you posted on my progress and cross your fingers that I can stick to my fifteen mile-weeks. I need all the help I can get!

1 comment:

RoseAnn Nicolai said...

I will be sure and stay on you. Run Amy Run!